Incumbent is accountable for management of the District's employee benefits, compensation and payroll programs which includes oversight and direct supervision of the Benefits staff and the Supervisor of Payroll and Compensation. This position is responsible for administration of employee benefits including NPPD’s 401(k) and 457(b) plans, self-funded health plan, retiree insurance plan, health savings accounts, COBRA administration and voluntary benefits. This position develops, recommends and installs approved, new or modified plans and employee benefits policies and manages administration of existing plans. This position develops cost control procedures to assure maximum coverage at the least possible cost to NPPD, employees, and retirees. Surveys industry and/or statewide to determine the District’s competitive position in employee benefits and compensation, ensuring comparability for attraction and retention of employees. Provide presentations and written communications to employees, retirees, and management regarding all benefits, payroll and compensation programs.
This position will report to the Director of Human Resources
Essential Functions of Position:
- Evaluate and compare existing District benefits and compensation with those of other employers by analyzing other plans, surveys and other sources of information.
- Plan, develop and/or participate in area and industry surveys.
- Analyze results of surveys and develop specific recommendations for review by management.
- Develop specifications for new plans or modify existing plans to maintain compliance with state statutes and the District’s competitive position in labor market.
- Evaluate, recommend and revise internal processes to reduce costs and increase efficiency.
- Promote overall program cost containment through cost benefit analysis, program review, contract administration and coordination with Plan Providers.
- Utilize Benefit Consultant services to solicit Requests for Proposals associated with all benefits, as needed.
- Evaluates proposals and make recommendations to management.
- Develop company cost information for new/existing plans and make plan change recommendations to senior management (i.e. setting premiums, cost-share structure, deductibles, etc.).
- Work closely with Finance and Accounting personnel to ensure that reserve requirements are met and the activity in the benefit trusts are timely and accurately reviewed and reconciled.
- Facilitate actuarial review process with Finance & Accounting.
- Prepare and execute, with assistance of Benefits Consultant, Benefits staff and Director of Human Resources, benefits documentation, such as original and amended plan texts, benefit agreements and insurance policies.
- Coordinate changes in benefit programs with Consultant including changes with insurance carriers, trustees and other third-party administrators.
- Ensure program compliance to any and with all governing rules and regulations, including Affordable Care Act reporting.
- Coordinate Requests for Proposals and contract administration with Procurement as appropriate. Provide direction related to coordination of benefits with Medicare Supplement and Medicare Part D Plans.
- Responsible for evaluating and developing change recommendations to employee and retiree benefit and compensation programs for consideration by senior management and Board of Directors.
- Upon approval, implement new plans or changes to existing plans by preparing announcement materials, plan summary documents and other media for communicating plans to employees.
- Oversee the maintenance of enrollment and records for all benefits plans.
- Provide direction to the Supervisor of Compensation and Payroll to ensure fair and equitable compensation programs and accurate, timely pay are in place.
- Ensure that District employees are compensated on a competitive basis and pay programs are administered in accordance with state and federal laws.
- Provide direction to supervisor for development of communications to managers and employees on the compensation and payroll processes.
- Ensure Equal Pay Act and position benchmark reviews are conducted.
- Responsible for the coordination of all communications for NPPD's benefits and pay programs, including employee and retiree newsletters, pre-retirement workshops, 401k, and 457 presentations to enhance the engagement of employees.
- Identify employee and retiree website enhancements including opportunities for self-service applications.
- Provide training and assistance to the HR Business Partners in regard to NPPD's benefits, compensation, and pay and retirement programs.
- Validate and manage cost center and WBS element budget versus actual monthly/yearly.
- Ensure efficient use of funds. Accountable for the efficient and effective management of vendor contracts and relationships as it relates to assigned area ensuring the highest quality solution at the lowest cost possible.
- Provide oversight of the Benefits team including providing work direction and making or recommending decisions for hiring, performance management, salary administration, and employee disciplinary action, including termination of employment.
- Ensure the staff is provided with appropriate training and challenging work.
- Promote the effective use of technology for efficiency improvements.
- Identify and implement continuous improvement opportunities.
Salary: $97,140 to $125,106/annually
How to Apply: http://v1.nppd.com/Careers/Job/492